Talk Back and You’re Dead
I know I enjoyed reading so much but I never thought that I will be reading fan fictions. How did I started? Well, I was bored and it was our teambuilding and I didn’t want to sleep early so I decided to read Must Date… in wattpad. That was the start. I liked the story but sadly, it was not finished.
And then I remember my little sister was also reading something in wattpad and that’s how I got to reading this — Talk Back and You’re Dead.
At first, I thought that the story is a typical good girl meets bad boy, etc. etc. etc. I’m not that interested and also because it is written in Filipino - not the type of books that I am reading. Haha, I came from reading John Green, George R.R. Martin, Mitch Albom, Paulo Coelho.. There.
cue in: Never Say Never by the Fray
Maybe the timing was right. But when I started reading the book, it felt like I was reading a story made by my sister, or one of my friends - that was how close I felt while I was reading the book. At first I thought that I wouldn’t like the book and that I won’t be able to finish it but yeah, I didn’t even sleep one night just to finish the first book. And then I proceeded to read the second book. I guess, this book series caught me in weird ways. The only reason I read it is because of T.O.P. but then I discovered myself instead.
Also, the first book was finished on my birthday, June 11. Weird. Also, I found out a lot of interesting things about the author - she knew KPOP even before 2010 so that makes her genuine, not just going with the Kpop hype. Then I noticed that she knew Flyleaf - it was written somewhere in the second book. And I felt a belongingness - haha, if that’s what you call it - apparently, I am not the only one who likes screamo (insert Flyleaf, The Used, etc.) who seems to also like Korean stuffs. Though I’d limit myself to that, I am still not a fan of Kpop. Maybe I am not the only one, even Miggy of ChicoSci likes Big Bang.
Okay. Back to the book business.
I am just going to conjure a list of the things that I liked about the two books. Hopefully I will be able to read the third one but the second book makes me feel so full I don’t think the third book is needed.
1. It is very easy to read. Relatable. I did not have a hard time relating to the story. Ewan lang, kasi nga feeling ko nagbabasa ako ng story ng ate ko, kaya siguro ganun.
2. Nakakatuwa siya in the sense na dapat masakyan mo un mga weird at out-of-this-world plots niya. Minsan nakakatuwa kasi lagi na lang un nangyayari pero di pa rin nagagasgas. Un lang siguro din, nakakatuwa and crazy trios.
3. Nakakatuwa ang pagkakanarrate. Eto un problema sa ibang fanfic, un narration - minsan kasi hindi maganda un narration kaya boring un labas pero eto kasi napaweird ng imagination ni Samantha kaya nakakatuwa siya basahin.
4. The story. I must say the synopsis is the typical. Pero siguro ang pinagkaiba ay ung pagkakagawa. Meron kasing mga kwento na magsisimula lang ang kwento sa oras na nagbasa ka. Pero ang na-feel ko sa TBYD, nagsimula na siya at nung nagstart akong magbasa nasa gitna na, kaya madami akong tanong. Yung feeling na after kong magbasa, alam ko may kasunod un story. Yung feeling na alam ko may nangyaring iba pero di sinulat ng author. Yun kasi ung alam kong story, ung madaming hindi pa nasusulat. Ganun kasi gumawa ng story ung ate ko, may mga unwritten plots. Yung tipong may side ng bawat isa, bawat side characters ay hindi fillers, totoo silang characters. Yung feeling na pumasok ako sa ibang mundo.
5. Gusto ko may number five pero wala na akong maisip. Pero ang totoo na-touch ako. Siguro ung sign na naattach ako sa libro ay kapag naiyakan ko siya. At hindi lang isang beses ako umiyak, madami kaya nga siguro natuwa ako.
6. Okay, may number six pa pala. The story didn’t fail me. Un ung pinakamalaking take-away na nakuha ko dito. Madami kasi akong nabasa na I thought magiging maganda pero nung natapos ko ay ______ - gusto kong bawiin ung oras na ininvest ko. Pero hindi dito. Aaminin ko nadisappoint ako sa ending ng book one. Pero narealize ko na dapat un nga ung ending para may book two pa. At nung natapos ko ung book two parang solve na talaga ako. It was a weird feeling - I still like to repeat the ending. I think I will never get tired to repeat the ending in my head. Yun ung pinakanagustohan ko, ung ending that made all the time I spend reading worthwhile.
And the last word that I leave you, the end really did justify the means. The destination made the journey worthwhile.